Job Title: Catholic School Elementary School Principal
Position Type: Full Time Position, Salaried.
Salary Range: Clear and Defined Salary Range, based on Qualifications and Experience
Purpose of Position: The Pastor and the Principal are the visible foundation of the school which the Bishop has entrusted to the Pastor and Principal. Together with the Pastor, the Principal makes Christ’s mission present and enduring in the school. In order to fulfill this mission, the Principal employs suitable collaborators. The Principal is a practicing Catholic, sharing Christ’s mission and entrusting various responsibilities to these collaborators.
Description of the Position: The Principal Directs and Manages the Mission, Strategy, and Administration of the school. The Principal is a practicing Catholic and in collaboration with many, establishes and maintains our Catholic Mission and Strategic Plan, for the Formation and Education of our Students. Specifically, this collaboration is done with the Pastor, the Director of Religious Education, the Communications Coordinator, the Accounting Manager, the Facility Operations Coordinator, Parents, and certain others by function. In this pursuit, the Principal meets or exceeds Diocese of Gary and certain Government Educational Department Standards and Requirements.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The Principal Directs and Manages these areas:
- Faith Activities; for staff, students, and members of the school community.
- Administration; of the Faculty, the school, in areas of finance, files, staff and student records.
- Leadership Activities; consists of leading the faculty, developing strategy and directing implementation of plans, allocating resources effectively to support and achieve school goals.
- Curriculum; by properly, designing, initiating, implementing, and maintaining appropriate programs to meet the specific educational needs and prescribed Academic Outcomes.
- Student Activities; by overseeing and assisting in the planning and effective execution of co-curricular and extra-curricular programs and policies.
- Business Matters; by executing all school policy on business affairs, consistent with the policies of the parish.
- Development Activities; maximizing available scholarship and grant income.
- Communication and Public Relations; serving as the primary spokesperson for the school, ensuring appropriate communication to its various publics through a comprehensive communications and marketing plan.
- Recruiting; by assisting the Recruiting and Enrollment Group in enrollment management, recruitment plans and in maintaining a presence with Faith Formation and local feeder schools or organizations.
- Personal, Religious and Professional Development; by growing personally, professionally, and spiritually through an annual program of professional and faith development.
- Liaisons; are developed and nurtured with the School Advisory Board, various Parish, Diocesan, State and Local agencies, the School Foundation, and certain other groups.
- Other Related Duties and Tasks; are accomplished by working some nights and weekends, managing high to moderate levels of stress, working a full school day, and generally working in standard school and office conditions.
People and Others:
- Collaborates with others
- Advanced Degree
- Business Acumen
- Decision Making
- Developing Others
- Goal Setting
- Personal Motivation
- Planning and Initiative
- Principal Qualification
- Problem Solving
Administrative and Work Site Capabilities and other Requirements:
- The Principal is Appointed by the Pastor based upon recommendations of the “Principal Search Committee” and the “Principal Interview Committee”.
- The Principal Reports to the Pastor.
- The position is a full time, 12-month position, beginning at the 2022-2023 school year
- Is required to work some nights and weekends,
- Must manage high to moderate levels of stress,
- Must work full school days
- Will generally work in standard school and office conditions.
Job Duties and Task Addendum
The Principal Directs and Manages Faith Activities for staff, students, and members of the school community.
- The Principal is a practicing Catholic, sharing Christ’s mission and entrusting various responsibilities to select others.
- Ensures that the Catholic character of the school is developed and nurtured.
- In consultation with the Pastor, ensures the maintenance of the school’s Catholic identity and mission.
- Helps faculty and staff integrate the Mission of St. Michael Catholic School in all affairs of the school: academic, student life, athletic and campus ministry.
- Generates a positive Catholic culture and environment in the school, thus developing a strong Catholic faith community.
- The Principal is a leader in bringing about awareness and spirituality of our Catholic School.
- Oversees the development and enhancement of faith community affairs and the integration of faith with the learning process through direct involvement in faculty/staff retreats, student retreats, days of recollection, service programs, the religious instruction program, liturgies, etc.
- Develops and Maintains a strong and vibrant faith community among students, faculty, staff, and parents centered on the mission and core values and Catholic Social Teachings.
- Coordinates the faith community affairs and religious instruction programs of the school in collaboration with the Pastor and the Director of Religious Education.
- Works closely with the entire Faith Formation Ministry to ensure opportunities for annual retreats, worship and prayer, and service.
- Selects and hires faculty and staff whose values are compatible with the mission and philosophy of Catholic Core Values.
The Principal Directs and Manages the Administration of the organization and administration of the school, especially in the areas of finance, school files, staff and student records.
- Provides for the implementation of Diocesan educational policy, implementing and developing local school policy, while following applicable government regulations.
- Ensures compliance with Diocesan policies, applicable State and select other accrediting agencies by overseeing the completion of all required official Parish, Diocesan, Accreditation agency, and State reports.
- Works cooperatively with the Accounting Manager in the development of the annual school budget, and regular monitoring of relevant expenditures.
- Ensures the coordination of the use of school facilities for school and non-school related functions.
- In collaboration and coordination with other key offices of the school, such as the Athletic Director, Faith Formation, and Parish Executive Secretary, oversees annual school calendar planning.
- Creates and maintains the academic school calendar and organize all upcoming events for the school
- In collaboration with select faculty and staff, updates and maintains the “Parent / Student Handbook”
- Participates in and contributes, appropriate content at various meetings; school, parish, Diocese and various others.
- Oversees accuracy and content for Student Schedules for classes (teachers' schedules)
- Oversees ordering of needed material (textbooks and supplies etc.) for the new academic year.
- Organizes select faculty meetings, professional development, and detailed planning for school events.
- Obtains substitute teachers when teachers are sick and off on personal days.
- Regularly provides the Pastor, and select others, with needs analysis of the school.
- Develops and implements faculty procedures.
The Principal directs and manages through effective Leadership to Develop strategy and direct implementation of action plans, allocating resources effectively to support and achieve the school’s goals.
- Participates with the Pastor in the development of short-range and long-range plans; overseeing implementation of strategic plan strategies as they pertain to educational practices.
- Provides periodic review of the philosophy and mission statements of the school.
- Reviews, evaluates and creates policies benefiting the school.
- Annually reviews and revises the Faculty Handbook.
- Provides an environment which promotes and supports cooperation, collaboration, pride and service.
- Shows a visible presence in all areas of the school, encouraging excellence, facilitating opportunities, and working to resolve all problems, both routine and unique, as they arise.
- Ensures the quality of the teaching-learning process, counseling programs, local and global explorations, technology use and integration, and ongoing professional development.
- Designs and implements a faculty mentorship program.
- Nurtures the development of leaders within the faculty and staff.
- Leads, supervises, and implements, observation and evaluation of faculty.
- Plans and coordinates agendas for faculty meetings and in-service days.
- Conducts regular School Advisory Board meetings.
- Consults regularly with the Pastor regarding personnel matters.
- Conducts performance appraisals for all direct reports, helping faculty and staff reach goals and teaching potential.
- Recruits, interviews, and recommends all applicants for hiring.
- Supervises and provides annual evaluations, in-services for all instructional and non-instructional members of the Faculty and school staff.
- Interviews, employs and where necessary, terminates members of the faculty and staff who report to the Principal, after appropriate consultation with and approval of the Pastor.
- Provides orientation for new teachers and school staff in conjunction with the school executive assistant and faculty mentor.
- Attracts and maintains an exemplary faculty, supporting and implementing professional growth programs and developing a school leadership team.
- Directly Supervises the Athletic Director.
- Handles all pressing matters related to the daily routine of the school.
The Principal Directs and Manages the school Curriculum by, designing, initiating, implementing and properly maintaining, appropriate programs to meet the specific educational needs of the school.
- The Principal supervises the instructional program and extra-curricular activities of the school, to achieve prescribed Academic Outcomes.
- Promotes a rigorous curriculum, with high quality instructional practices and informed decisions to drive improvement.
- Ensures overall quality of the academic programs and policies, ensuring students are prepared or exceed requirements for continuing education.
- Maintains memberships in accrediting and other professional organizations (NCEA. INPEA, Cognia. etc.).
- Keeps current on assessment tools i.e. NWEA and IREAD, ILEARN.
- Remains current in educational research and development including standards, trends, developments, and other research, as they pertain to educational practices, especially in Catholic schools.
- In collaboration with certain grade level teachers, sets and evaluates annual academic priorities.
- Develops a strategy for analyzing and implementing the curriculum and program needs of the future.
- Provides current and up-to-date curriculum reporting to the Diocese of Gary and the Indiana Department of Education.
- Reviews and assures compliance of the academic program with state accrediting requirements.
- Maintains school accreditation.
- Monitors and evaluates classroom’s environment.
- Provides a program of staff development including school and individual plans necessary for continued accreditation and advancement, and annual calendar of offerings consistent with emerging program needs.
- Establishes clear instructional goals for the school.
- Administers an ongoing assessment of the religious, academic, social, physical and emotional growth of students.
- Oversees assignment of teaching and other professional responsibilities, as the needs of the school requires.
The Principal Directs and Manages Student Activities by overseeing and assisting in the planning and effective execution of co-curricular and extra-curricular programs and policies.
- Administers discipline policies of the school in a manner consistent with the spirit of the mission.
- Meets with students on a regular basis, listening to concerns and comments, gaining insight to real-time student issues and concerns.
- Manages and handles certain situations and 'crisis' situations with sensitivity and directness.
- Assumes the lead role on major discipline cases potentially involving suspension or withdrawal of students and ensures the day-to-day discipline of students.
- In consultation with the Pastor, plans and implements actions regarding student probations, suspensions and dismissals.
- Intervenes in the occurrence of inappropriate behavior of students and/or parents for the purpose of assisting students in modifying behavior, developing successful interpersonal skills and / or initiating disciplinary action.
- Handles all aspects of any academic and disciplinary action.
- Recognizes and is sensitive to religious and academic differences.
- Ensures timely publication of the Parent/Student Handbook and accuracy and legality of all policies contained therein.
- Annually updates parent, student, faculty and staff handbooks and submits copy to Pastor and Diocesan School Office.
- Utilizes available testing, counseling and guidance services, both inside and outside of the school community.
- Promotes student activities that ensures quality of student life and total school programs.
- Ensures the timely selection, appointment, and supervision of all student activity moderators.
- Is knowledgeable of and monitors students struggling with home situations and/or academic and/or behavioral needs
- Ensures the development of student activity and athletic policy, eligibility requirements, and expectations of coaches through the Athletic Director.
- Conducts the approval and dismissal of all coaches.
The Principal Directs and Manages Business Matters by executing all school policy on business affairs, consistent with the policies of the parish.
- Directly manages an Executive Assistant.
- Executes all school policy on business affairs consistent with the policies of the parish.
- Provides overall business leadership for responsible stewardship and appropriate financial reporting.
- Carefully collaborates on the school budget development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Carefully collaborates on the long-range financial planning.
- Oversees and maintains the operating budget within agreed upon values.
- Collaborates with the Finance Manager reviewing expenditures as needed.
- Meets with the Pastor and certain others weekly, reviewing financial interests of the parish and school.
- Is an ex-officio member of the Parish Finance Council and attends regular meeting providing input as needed and as requested.
- Oversees and ensures the accurate and timely completion of all documents, reports, forms and records as required by the parish office, Diocese of Gary and certain state statutes.
- Ensures that the school operates within the spirit of the strategic long-range plan.
- Collaborates carefully with the Facility Coordinator to secure effective maintenance and upkeep of the building and other maintenance activities.
- In consultation with Pastor, utilizes certain maintenance personnel for the school.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures which ensures security and safety in the school’s environment.
- Ensures that the school maintains a safe, clean environment.
- Recognizes and complies with federal, state and Diocesan regulations regarding health, safety and hazardous materials.
- Practices and promotes employee and student safety skills, providing for the General Safety and security of students, parents and staff.
The Principal Directs and Manages Development Activities to maximize the use of any available scholarship and grant income.
- Collaborates with the Scholarship and Development Coordinator to ensure appropriate and timely application for and receipt of Scholarship Granting Organizations, Choice Scholarships, Education Foundation support, Tuition Assistance through Diocese of Gary, and other grant opportunities.
- Effectively engages the Parish Communications Coordinator for selected School Development activities and other related Communication issues.
- Ensures overall student recruitment programs are operating and effective.
- Reviews and approves School specific fundraising initiatives and activities.
- Works cooperatively with parent groups and alumni, designing and implementing programs making new and existing development actions effective.
The Principal Directs and Manages Communication and Public Relations by serving as the primary spokesperson for the school, ensuring appropriate communication to its various publics through a comprehensive communications and marketing plan.
- The Principal communicates effectively both internally and externally from the school. This includes communications with the parish and local community groups, newspapers, and other social and other electronic media.
- Collaborates carefully with the Parish Communication Coordinator to secure effective public relations, brand management, and needed communications issue results.
- Consults with the Parish Communication Coordinator and secures approvals on certain significant School Communication and Releases assuring consistent messaging and presentation of Parish and School messaging.
- Communicates short and long-range plans to school community.
- Promotes and encourage school spirit.
- Active participates in certain named activities of the school, parish community and community.
- Regularly provides timely and relevant communication to the faculty, school and parish staff, parents and parish community.
- Arranges, promotes and conducts various tours of the school.
- Communicates in all types of venues the “good news” of Catholic Schools.
- Communicates through weekly emails and other media with the student parent community.
- Establish and encourage a welcoming school environment.
- Represents the school to parent organizations.
- Communicates effectively with parents, seeking and considering their input.
- Keeps parents informed regarding student progress, school programs and developments.
The Principal Directs and Manages Recruiting by Assisting the Recruiting and Enrollment Group in student enrollment management, recruitment plans and in maintaining a presence with Faith Formation and local feeder schools or organizations.
- Finds, develops relationships, and meets with potential new families to secure enrollment commitments.
- Meets with existing families (certain grade levels) if concerns arise prior to school beginning where academic and/or behavioral concerns arise (create a behavioral contract, when needed).
- Appoints and Develops certain parents or talented volunteers to support student recruiting activities.
The Principal Directs and Manages Personal, Religious, and Professional Development by growing personally, professionally, and spiritually through an annual program of professional and faith development.
- Participates in webinars, video meetings and in-person meetings for the Diocese of Gary or other institutions.
- Stimulates growth of faculty and staff by encouraging personal and professional development.
- Collaborates directly and frequently with the Parish Director of Religious Education to further the religious development of students and other school staff.
The Principal Directs and Manages Liaisons with various Parish, Diocesan, State and Local agencies, and certain other significant groups.
- Works Directly with the School Advisory Board on defining and resolving issues.
- Serves as a member of the Parish Education Commission.
- Maintains an ex-officio Membership on the Parish Finance Council.
- Maintains an ex-officio Membership on the Education Foundation.
- Maintains an ex-officio or practical Membership in other State or local agencies as needed.
The Principal Directs and Manages Other Related Duties such as:
- Working some nights and weekends.
- Managing high to moderate levels of stress.
- Working a full school day.
- Working generally in standard school and office conditions.