Demographics and School Culture:
St. Mary Catholic School is a vibrant community rooted in the life-giving love of the Holy Trinity. Our mission, shaped by the vision of the Catholic Faith and nourished by God’s Word and the Sacraments, is to aid parents in their God-given duty and irreplaceable responsibility of being the primary educators of their children. Our academics seek to develop the entirety of the human person through the integration of the student’s mind, heart, and soul according to truth. The student’s social and inter-relational formation is further aided by the opportunity to participate in a number of extracurricular activities, school clubs, and sports.
St. Mary’s is blessed by a dedicated faculty and staff and is a recognized educational leader in the market it serves. Our Robotics program is seen as a regional leader and a unique addition to the school. The school is graciously supported by the Catholic Parish, as well as, the actively engaged parent community.
St. Mary’s is located on the northern edge of Big Rapids, the home of Ferris State University. We serve students from the areas of Big Rapids, Morley, Stanwood, Reed City, Newaygo, and White Cloud. Student enrollment has grown consistently in recent years with a 25% increase in the last three years.
- A Master’s degree in educational leadership or administration with state of Michigan administrator certification or a master’s degree in education with commitment to obtain administrator certification in the state of Michigan
- A current Continuing, Life, Permanent, Professional, Provisional, or Standard Teaching Certificate for the State of Michigan at the elementary and middle school level
- The candidate must commit to obtaining an Advanced Catechist certification
- A practicing Roman Catholic in good standing
- Subscribe to the structures, tenets, and institutions of the Catholic Church
- Preferred experience as principal
- Preferred minimum 5 years classroom teaching experience
- Demonstrated success in recruiting, supporting, developing, and motivating high-quality faculty and staff
- Demonstrated achievement in enrollment management, school finances, program development, faculty and staff support, and relationship building
- Demonstrated application of data-driven assessments to achieve student academic goals and inform instructional decisions and interventions
- Final approval of the candidate by the Superintendent
- Desire to foster the faith life of the community and advance the mission of the Church
- Welcoming and personable
- Strategic vision and planning
- Ability to engage the community in vision
- Collaborative team builder
- Excellent communication
- Curricular and co-curricular leadership
- Operational organization and problem solving
- Responsive decision making
- School faith community leadership
- Instructional leadership
- Student affairs
- Personnel leadership
- Business affairs
- Development/Institutional Advancement
- Board Relations
- External affairs
Hired by the Pastor in consideration of the Board’s recommendation and with the approval of the
Superintendent of Catholic Schools; Reports to the Pastor and is evaluated by the Pastor or his
designee (Board Chair) according to the process established by the Superintendent of Catholic Schools.
Accountable to the School Board for the areas of responsibility delegated to the Board
by the Pastor and the Diocese. Accountable to the Superintendent of Catholic Schools in certain
matters where diocesan policy and direction are concerned.
Salary: Competitive within the Catholic school market for a full-time K-8 Principal