Staff accountant is a professional accountant with educational background and job experience in the accounting field, preferrable Church and School accounting. Tasks within this position include but is not limited to bank reconciliations, account reconciliations, preparation of internal financial statements and preparation of budgets.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
The staff accountant will be assigned accounting work for specific locations within the Diocese of Gary. Accounting tasks include but are not limited to:
- Prepare bank reconciliations. Reconcile bank statements to GL balance monthly.
- Prepare account reconciliations. Reconcile account details to GL balance. i.e., Accounts Payable detail to GL balance.
- Prepare monthly close journal entries and internal financial statements for selected High School or Parish locations.
- Work with FACTS software for selected schools. Reconcile FACTS reports to Tuition receivables
- Assist in budget preparation for selected High School or Parish locations.
- Prepare interim financial statements with comparison to budgets.
- Assist selected parishes with accounting projects and preparation of Parish financial reports.
- Preparation of bank account reconciliations and account reconciliations for parishes, when needed.
- Assistance with payroll accounting and payroll software integration for certain locations.
- Assistance with external audits.
- Gain a full understanding of School and Parish Chart of Accounts. Specifically for Church and School accounting. If not familiar with Church and School accounting, willingness to learn.
- Understanding of the importance of internal controls and segregation of duties.
- General accounting duties as needed by CFO, and Parish Financial Liaison.
- Supports, upholds, and maintains the Mission of the Diocese of Gary and Parishes. Serves as a role model of the church/school in a positive manner and in all business interactions within the church/school and to the outside community.
- Respects and safeguards the confidentiality of information regarding parishioners, customers, co-workers, and the church, and holds others accountable to the same standard.
- As a leader within the church, projects a professional and caring demeanor in interactions.
- Takes responsibility for maintaining a clean, neat, and orderly environment. Uses equipment, supplies and other materials with a focused effort to stewardship and reducing waste.
- Takes ownership of job responsibilities by initiating prompt and appropriate action/follow-up in all areas. Insures appropriate and timely resolutions to situations.
- Demonstrates an attitude of teamwork when interacting with others within or outside the church. As such, consistently displays respect for self and for others in manner (body language, dress), word (spoken language) and action (behavior).
- Exhibits resourcefulness and initiative in anticipating and meeting the needs of others in a pro-active manner. Encourages and empowers subordinates to perform in the same manner.
SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS: Overall knowledge of Catholic Church teachings. Highly developed sense of diplomacy in dealings with people and respect and confidentiality of financial matters. Ability to communicate well with Finance Department team members as well as Parish and School staff.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration. Experience and education with computer hardware and software. Excellent communication and writing skills. Willingness to travel if needed. Knowledge of Microsoft; Outlook, QuickBooks, PDS (Parish Data Systems) and Blackbaud preferred. Knowledge of social media.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, stoop, finger, talk, reach, feel, sit, climb, grasp, hear and perform repetitive motions of the hands/wrists. Lifts and moves items up to 30 pounds.
JOB CONDITIONS: Work is performed mostly in an office setting. Employee is required to do extensive close computer work, as well as sit for long periods of time. There are no subordinates reporting to this position.