Holy Angels Parish was established in 1906. The current church structure was elevated to a cathedral when the Diocese of Gary was established in 1956. Although the altar was anointed the church building was never formally dedicated. In 1972, Bishop Grutka, the first Bishop of Gary, authorized the Cathedral's first renovation. In 1997, Bishop Melczek, third Bishop of Gary, commissioned a renewal and renovation of the Cathedral. On January 26, 1998 Bishop Dale Melczek anointed the Altar and dedicated the renewed Cathedral of the Holy Angels.